Friday, July 27, 2012

More Like Used As A Punching Bag

This past week has exceeded my expectations for recovery.

I'll start with Tuesday itself.  I did per-admittance check-in on Monday so that all I'd have to do on Tuesday was show up and pay.  They ran me through the procedure, what to expect, and what I needed to do before arriving.  E and I showed up at the surgery center around 10, paid, and set up in my own private room.  Within the hour I was IV'd up, debriefed, and good to go.

I was set for a 12:45pm surgery time, but due to some delays didn't get wheeled out until 1:20pm or so.  At no point were we left in the dark about delays.  The nurses were friendly, funny, informative, and very helpful. Both the surgeon and anesthesiologist stopped by to see me and explained what would happen next.  It was downright enjoyable, and the way the staff treated me went a long way towards alleviating any anxiety I had.

When my time came I was drugged up and wheeled into surgery.  I'm not sure when I went to sleep, but I was in the middle of talking to the nurse and anesthesiologist about their favorite types of history and the next thing I remember I was waking up in recovery.  It's weird, but there was something comforting about being in the operating room with all its technology surrounded by a staff with years of training and experience.  Far from feeling sterile it felt safe.

It took me about 20 minutes from regaining consciousness to being wheeled to my room by a volunteer who was going to school for Bio-Mechanics.  My throat hurt from the breathing tube and my mouth was like a foamy desert, but other than that I don't remember being in much pain.  I was thirsty, but had to wait until I went to get x-rays done to see if everything was working correctly.  E said the surgery lasted a little less than an hour and that the surgeon came about immediately to tell them when it was over.  Apparently my insides are in excellent condition.

In radiology I had to drink about 4 teaspoons of a foul substance whose name I can't remember.  Drinking that was by far the worst thing that happened to me that day, and I'm glad I asked for the anti-nausea meds before taking it.

After that ordeal I was finally given a glass of water and went back to my room to rest for awhile.  By 5:30pm or thereabouts I was released and on my way home.

I was in bed by 7 and slept for most of the night.  I think I woke up around 3am to walk around for a bit and get a drink, but I was back in bed before too long.  I slept for most of Wednesday as well.

So far yesterday and today have been really good.  I've felt a little sore, but my incisions don't hurt that much so long as I move slowly and deliberately.  I feel less like I've been stabbed and more like I was used as a punching bag.  I don't have stitches and the incisions themselves aren't near as big as I thought they'd be.   They're held together with a type of tape that should fall off within the next week.

I had real bad gas for most of Wednesday, but its seems to have gone away.  At least now I can tell the difference between pain in my incisions, uncomfortableness because of gas, and being full or hungry.  I find about 8-12oz of fluids are enough to fill me up and keep me satisfied for about 2 hours before I need another glass.  I'm drinking mostly juice, almond milk, skim milk, and meal supplements and so far I don't feel deprived, but it is only three days out.  I imagine as the weeks progress my appetite will return and I'll have to put my techniques to the test.

I'm very much aware of the band.  Unless I'm sitting up straight I can feel a tightness in my stomach that wasn't there before.  This is good and bad as it's easier to tell when I'm full, but also something that's just slightly uncomfortable.

My energy levels are returning to normal.  E and went out this afternoon for about 2 hours to visit a local museum.  It was nice to get out of the house, but after about an hour or so I started to get fatigued.  

I know this wasn't a terribly exciting or insightful update.  I'll have some more thoughts on my new life soon enough, but for now I'm focused on relaxing and recuperating.  

1 comment:

  1. I get a real feel for what you're going through from this post. I like it! "Just the facts, ma'am." As always, thank you for sharing. Love, A

    ReplyDelete